January 16, 2022, 07:20:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Ver 4 - FINAL RELEASE STATUS?  (Read 11502 times)

IPNDDS

• View Profile
Ver 4 - FINAL RELEASE STATUS?
« on: September 20, 2012, 11:06:41 PM »
There's all this chatter going around the forum regarding the release of Ver 4 Studio and Player.  Admin, what is the status?  Has the final been released or not?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Ver 4 - FINAL RELEASE STATUS?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 04:57:58 AM »
We are now working with final release candidates.  New registered users are now directly downloading and using the latest release candidates. Just ironing out a few kinks before we announce the final version.

ANOOP

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »
I am sure the things will be smooth. I am a 3 year veteran with MS and look forward for more !!!! Since MS has kept a very high standard of benchmark in support and features, It becomes very important to maintain and improve on the same and for the last 3 years we have never had one day of downtime and so the expectations from our clients are high. I hope MS can inform us early on any new updates that are going to be pushed on to the clients prior to being pushed, a tweet will be sufficient with the schedule. Since all of us are globally spread time of pushing is crucial, Your Midnight scheduling might be our Daytime and any break in the display wont look good. Last 6 months when the version 3.0 was kept on the same version,it was much easier as there were no worries of updates being pushed. I would suggest that instead of having updates getting pushed everyday, you could have one day a week to do the same and also you could intimate us what is expected during that update.
Hope to see the XML and other new features teething errors to be driven asap,Also the Ad engine and reporting tool to be available at the earliest.
Thanks a ton to the MS team and all the forum members for being very active:)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »
np, we appreciate all your feedbacks and support.

SpindlTV

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:18:50 AM »
Dears, you have some news about the final version v4?
Does anyone have experience as the current stable version v4? Player crashes or crashes Studio? I need to connect the client to the stable version. Thanks for the report.
Martin

Advicast Multimedia

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:17:57 AM »
Hi Guys,
My players are on 4.0 and my studio on 3 I am happy to run it this way and thing seem smooth.
I hope this helps.
Brendan

SpindlTV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Dears,
please inform me, when it will be released in the final version of Studio 4?
Thank you very much!
Good luck and success for the whole team Digital Signage!
Martin

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 06:55:18 AM »
V4 is in final release!

Advicast Multimedia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »
Hi There, thanks for this information.
If this is the final release is the Advertising Engine running 100% or are we looking at November December!
Thanks
Advicast 8)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 02:20:07 PM »
The Ad engine is not in final release.
But the Studio and Player are.
Ad engine is set to December for final release as we are re factoring some of its functionality and internal workings.

regards.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 05:32:21 AM »
DECEMBER????? Seriously???

The ad engine is the one thing that allows us to get paid so we can pay you. You have been promising that it was going to get fixed a long time ago when you broke it. Then you promised it would be released with the final release of 4.0 which was way to late at that point. Now you are saying December???

Come on guys. What gives. Just fix it to where it was then worry about adding additional functionality. The major piece of the enterprise edition is the Ad engine. We all have been patient enough. This is costing us hundreds of thousands of dollars not having it. Also, it would be nice to know what is being added to the engine and how it will effect us.

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »
Was that hundreds OR thousands, or hundreds OF thousands? If you are even 1% towards serious then get out now and find a commercial solution. Look back over the forum and you will see that this just isn't it. It doesn't work reliably (i.e. when your player is 100 miles away!) and it has very basic functionality missing - for example any transitions between timeline elements (beyond a forced fade) or even simple things like altering content by time of day.

For all the talk of big name clients, this software is pre-alpha and progress is slow - presumably through a lack of programming and QC resources. Deadline have been missed by years not months. Why am I saying all this? Well because I'd dearly love it to work. I love the freemium model, I love the web based admin interface, and I like the 'per dealer per month' price. I just STILL can't risk using it on projects I'm charging money for, because it's just not up to it.

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
As a paying Enterprise customer, I expect that when it includes the Ad Engine the Ad Engine will be available and it will work.  Nope!  At this point, the only thing that is good about the Enterprise package is the branding, but that is almost not necessary now because the signage player component loads very quickly now and my company branding message basically just flashes on for a second (that is a good thing but I don't think that second is worth $100 monthly price tag).

What is truly missing as an obvious and fundamental feature (particularly for Enterprise customers) is proper scheduling of resources.  We ABSOLUTELY need the ability to schedule individual resources with start/stop days and times.  Why is this ability not at the top of the developers to do list?  I should not have to schedule the expiration of a resource on my private calendar to remind me to manually remove it from a timeline.  I should be able to schedule it to remove itself.  Scheduling of timelines does NOT address this issue.  Imagine that you have a client that has forty items on a timeline.  Twenty of them are recurring items and have no expiration date.  The other twenty have varying expiration dates.  The only way now to schedule automatic removal of items is to create twenty separate timelines each one without one of the expiring resources and then schedule each timeline with a start/stop day and time.  Do you have any idea how messy this becomes and what room for error it proposes?  Now, multiply this scenario by ten or fifteen clients.  I think you can now see how much of a time investment you will need simply for scheduling.

The solution is to have one timeline.  Add your resources.  Double click each resource to bring up properties which will include start/stop days and times to choose from.  Problem solved.  Then all you have to do is use the sequencer to get your timeline up and running.

Here is a short list of items that I feel (based on experience with other digital signage software) should be at the top of the development list:

1.  Scheduling of individual resources with start/stop days and times
2.  Notification in the resources folder (either by a a highlight or check mark) that a resource is currently in use and not allow its deletion.
3.  View in text format the resources currently in a folder or used on a timeline (maybe export in Excel format).

Media Signage, I know that you have previously responded to some of my posts regarding this by saying that you will consider it as a feature for Enterprise users.  I thank you very much for considering it but I must also add that your priorities in development features should also take into consideration those of your customers who actually pay for your software but are currently getting the same feature set and development times as your free users.

Thank you!

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
I am serious. I could not imagine being in the business if I was making less. But, that being said, I was referring to us all combined. I havve not made the full jump to this system yet. I am testing with a few players. The expenses are there as there are very tedious workarounds as IPNDDS mentions, some of which means hiring others to help manage those workarounds because of the additional work.

This system has pros and cons, but I do like that the makers are forward thinkers. The only problem as we have found out, is that it can bite us in the $$$ if changes are made in haste before there is a solid foundation to retreat back to. Unfortunately 3.0 is gone because of the forced updates we were all scrambling to correct.

I was on a very stable system and even used to be a reseller for the largest and most widely used system in the world. The problem with them for me and my customers was that it was not an easy system to manage for the end user and the look and feel has not changed for years. Not to mention the price. But the best thing was that it was for the most part a system you could rely on. But if you were not a programmer, forget it as there is no customer support. I have seen MediaSignage provide more support on their website alone than most companies out there, not to mention its up to date. Just take 5 min to look a at some of the "Top TEN" companies and see when their last post was on their site. You will find many that are over a year old. The technology for DDS changes rapidly, so a stale site is not a good sign. Run do not walk if the content is older than 60 days.

I cannot speak for anyone else on the forum, but for me, I want a stable platform that is also forward thinking and that listens to its users. We are all here to make money and we know that MS needs to make money as well. I just cannot figure out what is taking sooooo long. Is it money to pay a good programmer or multiple programmers to fix the issues and fix them now? Do we have to pay more to get quicker progress? I am willing as long as I see I am getting my money's worth and we have a better benefit package then the free users. I will have to agree with the rest when it comes to the marginal difference between free and Enterprise features.

MediaSignage is almost there and I am rooting for them. What will it take guys? How can we help?

The Ad engine was one of many reasons I have seriously considered this platform. I need to make sure that everything is stable and that my business model with it is solid before I move over to the MS platform completely. As I said earlier, I only have a few players in testing right now and eagerly await for the true final 4.0 or 4.1 version.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 04:51:19 PM by criley »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:12 PM »
Hi guys,
We have made a decision to re factor the Ad engine as we believe we can accommodate more needs plus enhance the performance of the Ad engine as it will run hundreds of thousands of ads per week and so it has to be super efficient. As with release 4.0, it took longer but the final release was packed with features and works great.
We will double down on the Ad engine in 2013 with final release scheduled around the end of 2012.

I hope you understand,

Sean.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines