November 23, 2017, 02:54:05 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Enhanced Scheduling  (Read 10100 times)

IPNDDS

• View Profile
Enhanced Scheduling
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »
There is no doubt that MediaSignage is endeavoring to create a very feature-rich platform.  I love this and as I learn to use the components, I'm sure to realize more and more power.

BUT....one thing that is grossly overlooked in digital signage is its purpose...to deliver the right message at the right time.  Having said this, it is very important that advanced scheduling features be given the same attention (or more, at this point) as the new components.  Please, Media Signage, lets hear more about some advanced scheduling features for content.  We need the ability to schedule individual content rather than timelines.  Ad Engine is a step in the right direction but let's see you move further.

An idea presented by AVGEEK on this forum is an ideal solution and one where most of the coding is already done for the Ad Engine.

The Ad Component is a very big step in the right direction but the focus there is more on managing the advertiser / client relationship with the outgoing and incoming ad acceptance features. We need something similar for internal use, And the ability to have multiple playlists - not just the global one. I would like to have a separate playlist for each zone/region in a timeline per campaigns. Each playlist would rotate through resources independently of the other. I would schedule all of these resources in an easy-to-administer list view that would let me choose start/end date, days of week and times of day per resource - per playlist. When you add the ability to have transitions between resources, you could program that in the list view as well.
The main timeline metaphor would still have its place for overall programming. I can see scheduling additional resources in the timeline such as weather, rss - following a playlist component. This would give us great control over the balance of how things played out. (although these resources should be able to be nested inside the playlist component as well).
You have a great system and I don't want to sound negative. This feature would just add an enormous amount of additional programming flexibility.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Enhanced Scheduling
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
Right, but the Engine addresses this as you can set a different Ad package (i.e.: content / scheduler) per screen division.

souporjuice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 08:14:34 AM »
A small feature I'd like to see is a combination of the scheduler and the sequencer so that if I dont have anything in particular scheduled to play at a certain time that it reverts back and just plays the sequences till something is scheduled.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 05:57:36 PM »
Souporjuice...Nice idea, like the advertising component has with the Default Resource. It would be nice to have a default Timeline for a campaign.

Admin....

I was not aware that we could have different advertising packages for different screen divisions. How do we accomplish this? I do not see a way for me to specify what package goes with which Advertising Component. Just which station gets the ad package. never mind, i just got off the chat and was told that it is not possible as of yet to do this. So I cannot wait until the release. Great features look to be coming.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 08:35:38 AM »
AH yeah, sorry for the confusion,  I meant you can assign the Ad Player in different Screen divisions.

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »
Right, but the Engine addresses this as you can set a different Ad package (i.e.: content / scheduler) per screen division.

Admin, I do not believe that the scheduling issue is at all addressed with the Ad Engine.  It in fact does not help with enhanced scheduling for several reasons:

1.  It rarely works properly because it has been in a beta mode and is virtually impossible to test.  As an Enterprise user, I'm not at all sure of what I am paying for on a monthly basis.

2.  It requires that a station be set up in order to even use it.  This eliminates the possibility of using it with a web link or embedded signage project.  Any scheduling enhancements that the Ad Engine may have are lost on those two output scenarios.

The current sequencer and scheduler DO NOT provide the tools necessary to schedule content properly with begin and expire days and times because it is designed to handle Timelines rather than individual content.  This is inappropriate for a project that has, for instance, twenty recurring (non-expiring) items on a timeline along with say fifteen items that are time-sensitive and require scheduled start and stop days/times.

Duplicating timelines and scheduling or sequencing them leads to tremendous inventory and auditing issues as well as lots of manual attention, especially when multiple client projects utilizing the same content/resources scenario are involved.

There is a very easy and pretty obvious solution that may not require tremendous development time or resources!!!  PLEASE review the suggestions submitted by AVGEEK in this post:

The Ad Component is a very big step in the right direction but the focus there is more on managing the advertiser / client relationship with the outgoing and incoming ad acceptance features. We need something similar for internal use, And the ability to have multiple playlists - not just the global one. I would like to have a separate playlist for each zone/region in a timeline per campaigns. Each playlist would rotate through resources independently of the other. I would schedule all of these resources in an easy-to-administer list view that would let me choose start/end date, days of week and times of day per resource - per playlist. When you add the ability to have transitions between resources, you could program that in the list view as well.
The main timeline metaphor would still have its place for overall programming. I can see scheduling additional resources in the timeline such as weather, rss - following a playlist component. This would give us great control over the balance of how things played out. (although these resources should be able to be nested inside the playlist component as well).
You have a great system and I don't want to sound negative. This feature would just add an enormous amount of additional programming flexibility.

I'm not sure why so much emphasis is put on an ad engine model that supports revenue based signage projects that have been proven to not be as affective as place-based relevant models.  In any case, the problem with Media Signage lies with the inability to properly schedule content/resources. 

Virtually every digital signage software provider out there provides the ability to schedule individual content within a zone rather than timeline groups.  See Dynasign, X2O, Four Winds Interactive, Key West Tech, Scala and many others.  Please, do not use the "We provide FREE DS Software" card.  MediaSignage could truly be a world class solution but it seems with regard to scheduling, you're missing it big time.

As I've said before, effective DS software is not about how many bells and whistles you can cram into the package but more about how the software functions to make things easier for the end user. Specifically with regard to scheduling, if the software doesn't allow you to deliver the right message at the right time it's worthless because that is the inherent value of digital signage in the first place.  Otherwise, I may as well play slideshows or worse, bail on Media Signage, both of which I would rather not do.

Proper scheduling of content resources is a major cornerstone of what makes a world class DS software product.

PLEASE READDRESS THIS ISSUE.

Thank you!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 06:39:09 PM »
As we mentioned many times on the forum, the Ad engine is still in alpha / beta and we will go back to fixing the bugs and pushing to final release only in November / December of 2012.

This will occur once release 4.1 is finalized which will include the new enhanced Android 4.1 SignagePlayer and mediaDROID family of devices.

Many of our customers are pushing for an inexpensive Android stable solution and so we are pushing as hard as we can to deliver.

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »
Admin,  my issue is not with the Ad Engine.  It is with the overall scheduling capabilities of your software platform.  Whether the Ad Engine is functional or not, it still does not address the scheduling problem, particularly with regard to the web preview link and embedded signage.

scannercop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:27:02 AM »
Any solutions or upcoming features solving many of your customers needs with a prober scheduler on resources/scenes?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 06:36:30 AM »
In the 2nd 1/2 of 2013 we will focus on over 100 enhancements to the studio and player including added flexibility to the scheduler.

KingPro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 06:40:19 AM »
As we mentioned many times on the forum, the Ad engine is still in alpha / beta and we will go back to fixing the bugs and pushing to final release only in November / December of 2012.
is the Ad Engine working again?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:43:48 AM by KingPro »

scannercop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »
In the 2nd 1/2 of 2013 we will focus on over 100 enhancements to the studio and player including added flexibility to the scheduler.

including flexibility to the scheduler? Any news about the single most important feature request ever in this forum?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 09:42:16 PM »
I wish the road map was that simple but we are trying to push alot of stuff in, just look at all the new feature of 2013.
And while I can't give you release dates (I wish I could), we have plans for 5 major releases in the next 6 months including:

1. Brand new SignageStudio
2. Brand new API (can't say more at his point, but will be pretty amazing stuff)
3. Strong push into Stage3D supersizing the performance of the Player (lots of related features)
4. Gen2 release of the Ad engine
5. Other enhancements including Scheduler.

As you can see, our plate is full and we are pushing as hard and as fast as we can to deliver for EVERYONE!

Regards.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:44:42 PM by admin »

IPNDDS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 12:14:01 PM »
Yes, it appears that you have quite a large customer base that is indeed in need of enhanced scheduling.  Please do not ignore the need for this.  It has been very overlooked and it is imperative that scheduling be improved drastically.

An idea that I have seems pretty straight forward and is based on my experience with other digital signage software providers.

1. Add a resource to the timeline.
2. Double click it to bring up the properties.
3. Allow properties to be set for a.) begin on date/end on date  b.) start/stop time  c.) choose to play resource on M T W TH F SA SU
4. Make the scheduled resource identifiable on the timeline with perhaps a visual identifier (a red outline or hatch mark).

Then, allow for a list view of all scheduled resources and their status (Scheduled or Expired).  When a resource is expired, have it automatically remove itself from the timeline and snap everything together and change status from scheduled to expired.

All of this would allow for the proper scheduling of individual content items rather than timelines and thus drastically improving the usability of the software.

ShowIT Media

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
As the 2nd ½ of 2013 is drawing to an end is there any news on the scheduler?

I would be happy If I could just have a secuence playing when no timeline is scheduled, that would be a great start.

I hade the fact that I have had to make my 2 latest installations using Scala for just this one issue. Scheduling content.
Now I dont own a SCALA setup, so I have had to park my clients at another Company, now that is just bad business.
Luckilly the client still pays me and I pay the other Company for the Space (They owed me a favour), but I will never de able to move them back.

Pleeease put this scheduling thing on the top of your list, I don't care about 3D or more components as long as this issue is not fixed.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines