January 29, 2020, 05:47:30 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: 3D Support  (Read 4252 times)

nyckidd

• View Profile
3D Support
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »
Any plans on 3D support in the near future ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 01:49:24 AM by nyckidd »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3D Support
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:02:49 AM »
Yep, in the road map for late 2012...

nyckidd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 07:19:32 AM »
no exact date  ?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »
release dates often change... coders are working as fast as they can ;)

nyckidd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 07:50:52 AM »
thanks....god speed coders :)

rknight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »
What format of 3D will it be for the content? (Ex. Side by side, depth map, left\right, etc)

Rknight

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 07:10:19 AM »
We don't have the details yet...

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 07:56:51 PM »
I am still trying to figure out a practical use for this. Trying to get someone to not just see the screen but to hold their attention is one thing, but doing all that and a viewer just happend to have a pair of 3D glasses on that also happen to be the right format....I don't know. Maybe a movie theater lobby. Maybe I am missing something here. I am open to any ideas. What are your thoughts?

globalimages69

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 04:38:04 PM »
There are 3D solutions that do not require to wear 3D glasses (autostereoscopic displays).

Thing is, most of the "needed" support is, well, nothing really. You just display a video like any other within the player but in a "special pre-coded format" (i.e. side-by-side or image+depthmap) but signageplayer would see it like any other regular (say .mp4) 2D video, so nothing special to do.

Same thing with .jpg images, i.e. These can be made before-hand to contain an image compatible-with-the-display format (i.e. interleaved or over/under or side-by-side) but for signageplayer is just a regular .jpg Perhaps they could enable support for .jps format 3D images, since they are just a regular pair of .jpg's with a little metainformation added and are very easily supported for display in different formats (i.e. side-by-side, over-under, line-interleaved) so .jps support is not very hard or complicated.

Field sequential support could be hard to support but something which foundation could be taken in account for further development (i.e. double-buffer everything to allow for dual display output or page-flipping etc in the future).

So I don't know really what kind of support that is not very hard to integrate could be asked of signage player/studio for 3D right now.

I wouldn't make this any sort of top priority unless there are specific issues that affect specific people and that could be somewhat easily addressed in the signage platform side-of-things. Otherwise, reasonable 3D support can be "faked" by pre-converting videos or images in appropiate formats, simulating side-by-side setups by creating repeated screen zones/channels with displacements between them to control 3D (stereo base offsets) etc.

Perhaps a bit of a "hack" and not ideal, but otherwise I think it's not that easy to re-think signagestudio in terms of stereo 3D ouput and support "life" output of all kinds of assets in a variaty of depth-controllable stereoscopic formats, spacially page-flipping or sequential HDMI 1.4 formats ...

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines