February 20, 2020, 01:23:57 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: (Urgent) Comms failure player to studio (or is it!?)  (Read 3504 times)

warwickwater

• View Profile
(Urgent) Comms failure player to studio (or is it!?)
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:28:05 AM »
Hi,

I have a player (newly installed Win 7 PC, running player 4.0.12) connected to a standard ADSL Internet line and running a simple loop. Due to be installed at a demo site today for our potentially biggest customer yet.

The Signage studio for the last two days has connected and communicated fine with it both from a PC on the same network (via a switch - elsewhere in the same building) and also across town from our office. Studio (4.0.15, default download from the mediasignage site, or 4.0.12 I had on the PC) have been showing controller 'running' and connection 'green' for days without issue. Loop has run fine 24/7, no memory leaks etc, no restarts.

A few hours ago on my most recent login to the studio its now 'red' and 'not running' from Signage Studio, and of course I cannot connect to the player.

HOWEVER the player is actually alive and well and will playing its loop. Its pingable from elsewhere on the network, and with a keyboard connected to it I can go to the controller on that PC which shows running and connected to the server! I can ping (for example) google.com from the machine also.

So, we have a player that's Internet connected and thinks its connected to the MediaSignage server, and the MediaSignage server not seeing it as connected. Software bug on the server, or have I missed something? :-[

I could reboot the player manually (as I'm now sat next to it) but I need to know what went wrong before I deploy this at a client, ideally later today!!

Thanks in advance for any ideas, suggestions, etc. (Account 315089 if that helps mr admin!)

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: (Urgent) Comms failure player to studio (or is it!?)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:10:23 AM »
Hi,

I would suggest you download the latest version of the player 4.0.15 then

Close player

In XP
Delete C:\Documents and Settings\USER_NAME\Application Data\SignagePlayer.XXX
(USER_NAME = logged on windows XP user)

In Windows 7 / Vista
Delete C:\Users\USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\SignagePlayer.XXX
To get to this folder,  Click on Start, and on the search field type %appdata% hit enter, and then delete the SignagePlayer.xxxx folder.

and re-launch and re-register

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:19:05 AM »
is that it?

Can you not at least check the player status and log from your end? Are you not going to provide any assistance?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:02:12 AM »
Yes, your are using a very dated alpha version of the player.   4.0.15 is already in beta version. With a lot of bug fixes applied to it.

warwickwater

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 09:52:38 AM »
Downloaded from your site less than two weeks ago. Where can I find the changelog to understand better whats fixed and whats not?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines