February 26, 2020, 10:54:04 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Displaying text from a WORD doc.  (Read 3442 times)

tmmths

• View Profile
Displaying text from a WORD doc.
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:51:54 PM »
I really want to use this system at 10+ different locations (most likely with a purchased or hybrid server and some mediaboxes, etc.), but each location needs at least a section (screen division) to be able to be updated with property specific information, provided my a total "technical noobe" at the location.  The staff DOES have basic word/excel knowledge so I am looking to see if there is a way to pull text from a word doc (or excel spreadsheet) or plain text file...that would then be automatically formated and displayed in a particular screen division.  There can be NO formatting required on the text input side, just typing (okay maybe bold, italic would be okay but...).  Remember the end user(s) are 150% on the opposite end of technically inclined!

Any ideas?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Displaying text from a WORD doc.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:32 PM »
Sure, the XML Component can allow you to load custom data in any format as well as specific snippets, see this:
http://www.mediasignage.com/html/reseller_video.html?videoNumber=XML%20component

tmmths

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:05:17 PM »
But the end user would need to be able to write the data in an XML format to use this, correct?  Or am I messing something?

Looking for something that will pull from a plain text document or something like that with NO expertise needed.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
It would be easy to create a form to xml cgi script...
2 liner code.

HVL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 11:36:51 PM »
But in the end, that solution would mean that all formatting was lost.

I'm currently looking into solving the almost exact same problem that you have, tmmths.
What I have working right now is a python-script that runs serverside, converting the clients .doc-files to .html using Microsoft Words own .doc-to-.html algorithms. By then uploading the .html (that also has the formatting from the .doc) to an ftp-server, you can view the text in signageplayer by using a HTML-component instead of the xml. I use dropbox to keep the files up to date between my computer (server) and the clients computer.

If you're interested in the source code, reply here. I'll upload it for you.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »
I would imagine that you could do it with the xml or rss components, build/format your screen/scene any way you wish and use something like wordpress to blog. This could be where the content comes from and just populates the screen where you want the text in the font and color you wish. Another option that would work is use something like Flypaper. They have a CSV display component that will act as your database and the end user only needs to update the excel spreadsheet. Host the spreadsheet online and once it is updated, so are the screens. I'd be happy to give you contact info if you wish.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines