December 03, 2021, 04:19:58 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: PNGs as masks?  (Read 3169 times)

alex shorey

• View Profile
PNGs as masks?
« on: May 24, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »
So, I have a system where i need to mask the outer edges of a video in a particular way that isn't rectangular. My solution was to put two screen divisions directly on top of each other. The underlying screen division has the flv video, the screen division on top has a png with an alpha. That way I should be able to see the video through the masked png. It works fine when I deploy it to a browser. The trick is, I need it to run across multiple screens, but the png mask trick doesn't work in the SignagePlayer. It just fills over the video with black like the rest of the png. I contacted chat support and they couldn't reproduce the problem even when logging into my own station, but it persists for me across all the computer systems I have available to test on.

I have a fix for the moment by embedding the mask into the video, but this isn't ideal since my video department doesn't have the time to keep changing them out for me.

Any ideas out there? If not, I hope I can at least bring to light the situation so it can be corrected in future updates.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PNGs as masks?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »
Currently with release 3.0 you can't pass 2880x2880 in total width or height of 2 screens, and since you do, windowing system kicks in and transparency is not supported.
One quick workaround is to set your screens in vertical alignments (Windows > video properties ) so total will be 1080x2 which is < 2880 and masks will work.
FYI, the next release will support 4095x4095 thus it will also solve your issue.

Regards,

Sean.

alex shorey

• View Profile
Re: PNGs as masks?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »
Excellent, just what I needed to hear. Thanks for the tip.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines