December 10, 2019, 07:25:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Signage player not finding Signage Server  (Read 11368 times)

james.howe

• View Profile
Signage player not finding Signage Server
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:24:25 AM »
Our signage players are running on the latest version of your software and a windows 7 embedded system although this issue is also seen on our XP units. They all run over a public wifi system which of course from time to time experiences bandwidth issues. We use Logmein's software and from that I can see the last time that our signage players experienced a bandwidth issue i.e. disconnection. We restart our units nightly and I have delayed the start of the signage controller to allow the internet connection to be established first, however quite often the signage players/controllers seem to loose their socket connection to your servers at random times throughout the day. I can see from signage studio that they are (offline) but once I connect to them via logmein and see the signage player dashboard they show no connection to your servers. However if I do a simple ping command I can reach your servers. Once a connection is dropped/lost does signage controller try and establish another connection? At the moment I have to restart the signage controller, shutting down the player first to solve this. Closing and allowing Signage Player to be restarted by the controller does not seem to solve the issue.

Sorry for the long post but I?ve tried to give you as much detail as I can to help diagnose the issue.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Signage player not finding Signage Server
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
looks to be a firewall issue... or something in the network...

If you are having issues connecting to our server you must have issues with a local firewall.
We support both LIVE Sockets as well as HTTP Polling.
Under the SignageStudio  > Stations you may get 3 color indicators:

Yellow: connected via Polling
Green: connected via live socket
Red: not connected at all
To learn more about this and how it is setup, please watch this video tutorial:
http://mediasignage.com/html/signage_video.html?videoNumber=ServerConnection

To allow access to our servers be sure to open port 80 of both type: SOCKET and type: HTTP to the destination of: *.signage.me of inbound and outbound.
If you need explicit rules be sure to add:

master.signage.me = 198.65.158.173
business.signage.me = 198.65.158.174
neptune.signage.me = 198.64.149.167
galaxy.signage.me = 161.58.177.84
mercury.signage.me = 161.58.177.78
venus.signage.me = 161.58.177.82

But note that servers are sometimes added so *.signage.me will allow fo greater flexibility.

mtndude19

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »
I am having the same issue, I do not have a firewall running, nor does my ISP block port 80.  I keep getting the error message "restricted internet connection".  This instantly happened after I updated the software to 3.0.

james.howe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 02:46:20 AM »
I do not believe that this is a network issue as i can telnet to your servers on port 80 and have disabled the firewall on one of my units to try the theory out but this hasnt made much difference.

This morning i was greated with this in my signage studio

However once i connected to unit 2 with logmein the playershowed that it was connected

The only way that i could get it to connect again and show up in signage studio was to close the signage player but i left the controller running as i had read/seen somewhere on here previously that the player reconnects and checks for updates once restarted.

Does anyone else have the same issues?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 05:12:38 AM »
I am having the same issue, I do not have a firewall running, nor does my ISP block port 80.  I keep getting the error message "restricted internet connection".  This instantly happened after I updated the software to 3.0.

This is a totally different issue,  your problem is caused by running 3.0 player on 2.x account or vice versa.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 05:17:48 AM »
I do not believe that this is a network issue as i can telnet to your servers on port 80 and have disabled the firewall on one of my units to try the theory out but this hasnt made much difference.

This morning i was greated with this in my signage studio

However once i connected to unit 2 with logmein the playershowed that it was connected

The only way that i could get it to connect again and show up in signage studio was to close the signage player but i left the controller running as i had read/seen somewhere on here previously that the player reconnects and checks for updates once restarted.

Does anyone else have the same issues?

There is definitely something funky going on in your network, if its not your firewall then its something else, maybe you network connection is set to timeout after a period of use ? All servers are fine in our side... You will need to check what is causing the players to lose their connection from our server from your side.

james.howe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:37:10 AM »
Okay thanks for your reply, if i ever find out what it is with the ISP i shall be sure to post the resolution back

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 10:41:09 AM »
ok sounds good.

mtndude19

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
My issue was corrected.  Once again, the Tech support is great!

Thanks guys :-*

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »
Anytime, Lawrence, Joe and David are GREAT!,

Sean.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines