August 24, 2019, 09:36:00 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://plus.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Multiple External Apps on Same Timeline Part 2  (Read 3147 times)

tvalencheck

• View Profile
Multiple External Apps on Same Timeline Part 2
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:02:31 PM »
I have noticed while two different time lines running two different External App Components are in a Scheduler on the same day, the fist timeline in the scheduler will launch its external app with no problem, but as the scheduler reaches the 2nd timeline it will not launch the associated external app...   

Example: 
Timeline 1. Uses the PowerPoint viewer
Timeline 2: uses the live TV "Aver" app

What seems to happen is that the player, at startup, only launches the the External App PPT Viewer for the 1st timeline to be played in the scheduler...  Once it is scheduled to play timeline 2 it does not launch the Aver App.

Is their a code I need to use to make sure that the App launches for the second timeline?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple External Apps on Same Timeline Part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:20:53 PM »
Did you use common or local channels?

tvalencheck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
The screen devision in question is a local channel....

the PowerPoint Viewer and TV 'Aver"app both use the same Local Screen devision Channel. 

Any ideas?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 09:17:56 PM »
I checked with the Devs and only one Ext app is supported for now...

tvalencheck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
wow,  hope that is worked out in the new build...

tvalencheck

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »
So if I remove the PPT viewer from the 1st timeline and use "lets say a series of Jpg images instead of power point"
the TV capture will launch in the second timeline on the same scheduled Day?   yes that is a question....

itehno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 06:16:32 AM »
I have noticed while two different time lines running two different External App Components are in a Scheduler on the same day, the fist timeline in the scheduler will launch its external app with no problem, but as the scheduler reaches the 2nd timeline it will not launch the associated external app...   

Example: 
Timeline 1. Uses the PowerPoint viewer
Timeline 2: uses the live TV "Aver" app

What seems to happen is that the player, at startup, only launches the the External App PPT Viewer for the 1st timeline to be played in the scheduler...  Once it is scheduled to play timeline 2 it does not launch the Aver App.

Is their a code I need to use to make sure that the App launches for the second timeline?

This solution works for me on Windows XPe machine. You need to stop first application before you start second one. First of all, open the task manager and find what is exact name of the process for first application. As example, let's call it process1.exe. Now do the following:
1) Shorten the time of first application by 5 seconds.
2) Add new external application on the same channel, after first application, and set its length to 5 seconds.
3) Under the app name write: taskkill /f /im process1.exe.

After this, you can start second application. If you want to loop them, and start first application again. then you should do the same trick at the end of second application (of course, the name of the process to kill will be different).

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines