December 10, 2019, 12:00:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Stay up to date with everything that's happening at http://twitter.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Multi-Room & Multi-Day Calendaring  (Read 15377 times)

XKaliber

• View Profile
Multi-Room & Multi-Day Calendaring
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:24:10 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm currently looking for a solution to a dilemma involving displaying a "today's meetings" panel on our organization's signage in the lobby. Currently, we only flip between 2 screens: 1) displays the staff directory for 60 seconds, then 2) displays the current day's meeting schedule/location for 60 seconds. It's a very simplistic presentation because that was all the bosses wanted. With that said, the way that we're inputting data to display for the day's meeting is very inefficient such that the office assistant has to input the meeting data every morning and if/when she is away, she still has to login daily to make updates. We were looking at coming up with a more efficient way of schedule-entry, such as being able to pre-enter a month worth of meetings and then displaying the meeting schedules corresponding to today's date.

My current "solution" involves using an excel spreadsheet with 4 columns, with the first column, displaying the time from 8:00AM to 6:00PM in 30-minute increments and the remaining 3 columns for the 3 meeting rooms in our building. Employees may book one of the 3 meeting rooms and on the excel spreadsheet, we will "merge" the cells together and mark who booked it and for what purpose. This solution unfortunately means we can't pre-fill a month worth of bookings.

I'm hoping one (or more) of you brilliant-minded people would be able to inspire me with a new method of calendaring which will allow me to schedule multi-room, multi-day bookings, rather than having our assistant make changes to this excel sheet daily. SignageStudio has been programmed to pull this excel file as a "webpage" because each time a change is made to the spreadsheet, it is then saved as a .HTML file on our servers.

I hope my description of our structure will provide enough information, if not, I would be pleased to provide more info.

Thanks!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Room & Multi-Day Calendaring
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:40:36 AM »
You can try our component using Google Calendar ... can be download here:
http://mediasignage.com/files/google_calendar_swf.zip

Be sure to use Desktop version, be sure to mark resource as ?Trust this content? and be sure to make your Google Calandar public and copy / paste its URL to the URL property of  the swf

Regards,

Eric - MediaSignage.com

Live support: http://chat.mediasignage.com
5776-D Lindero Cyn Rd #182
Westlake Village, CA 91362
Phone: 1.877.DIG.SIGN (1-877-344-7446)
Fax: 1.818.337.0442

XKaliber

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
You can try our component using Google Calendar ... can be download here:
newbielink:http://mediasignage.com/files/google_calendar_swf.zip [nonactive]

Be sure to use Desktop version, be sure to mark resource as ?Trust this content? and be sure to make your Google Calandar public and copy / paste its URL to the URL property of  the swf

Regards,

Eric - MediaSignage.com

Live support: newbielink:http://chat.mediasignage.com [nonactive]
5776-D Lindero Cyn Rd #182
Westlake Village, CA 91362
Phone: 1.877.DIG.SIGN (1-877-344-7446)
Fax: 1.818.337.0442
Thanks for the quick reply. I have attempted your recommendation. I downloaded the above ZIP file, added it to my "Resources" marked it as "Public for everyone" and "Trust content"

I then created a new scene and dropped the Resource as I created above and in the SWF properties in the "Leader XML" field, filled in the calendar URL. In my Google calendar, I also ensured that I made it public.

However, I do not see any entries I have added to my calendar. Do you have any further recommendation or perhaps I am doing something wrong?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:30:13 AM »
Verify all settings ... can you get access to the XML via a browser?

XKaliber

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »
Verify all settings ... can you get access to the XML via a browser?
I've deleted my previously configured resource/scene and recreated from scratch, but all I see is this:

newbielink:http://imageshack.us/f/40/looks.png/ [nonactive]

I've tried accessing the XML fine, even using a different browser and ensuring I'm not logged in to verify that it is publicly available.

gholtslander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:22 AM »
Has anyone gotten this calendar component to work? I can get it to show a month calendar in the Signage Studio, but when I look at it in a player I get the same blank white screen that XKaliber shows above.

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
I have tried the MS GoogleCal component, but I'm not 100% happy with how it functions.
I had my Programmers come up with another method to utilize Google Calendar in the manner you seem to want to use it.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/googlecal.png

As you can see in the image, we pull Google Calendar's agenda info & display it in an easy to read schedule.

And in the following we display single event ( The NEXT occurring event ).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/827/googlecal2.png

This we do by using an RSS feed from the same Google Calendar
(which we convert real-time from ATOM Rss to RSS 2.0)

tvalencheck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »
StarVue,

Do you have a template you can share with the google calendar in in more of a agenda view...

It would be really appreciated...  Terry

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:54:57 AM »
@Terry:  I don't have a template per say....I developed a custom CSS (HTML) page to display the Google Agenda using their API.  A good start to that is using Googles "Embed This Calender" tool on their site. It will generate HTML that you can use that looks like this.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?title=Example%20Agenda%20Calendar&amp;showNav=0&amp;showDate=0&amp;showPrint=0&amp;showTabs=0&amp;showCalendars=0&amp;showTz=0&amp;mode=AGENDA&amp;height=600&amp;wkst=1&amp;bgcolor=%233333ff&amp;src=n6bv3dcbhg4nq2r2d3th3fcths%40group.calendar.google.com&amp;color=%232F6309&amp;ctz=America%2FNew_York" style=" border-width:0 " width="500" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Place that code on a page that you host yourself & us that URL in the HTML component inside your scene.

cwhitehead

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:28:39 PM »
Starvue,

Do you have the code you used?  I would like to do the same thing you did.

StarVue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 06:45:59 PM »
@ CWhiteHead,

The "CODE" which is run on my server was derived from Google Calendar's API
Found here: http://code.google.com/apis/calendar/v3/getting_started.html

From that we (My Developers) made a custom CSS to make the look the client wanted.
Basically we strip the Google Calendar info and display the parts we want where we want them.

Can you example what you would want the information from the calendar to do or look like?

cwhitehead

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 11:33:24 AM »
@Starvue-

something very similar just with my logo and colors.

Chris

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 11:14:27 PM »
@Admin-

I have been playing with the Calendar swf you have provided. It is working, but I was wondering if you happen to have an update? From the looks of things, the event showing are only for the current day, so If I have multiple events over the next couple of days, it will not show anything in the future. Am I missing a step or is this how it is supposed to work? Also, I cannot get it to show the description. Maybe the information provided now is different than what was available when you all created this.

If anyone has any updated SWF's or a good place to learn how to build one, please post. Thanks.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 07:44:10 AM »
The new 4.0 XML Player can be used instead to bind to specific attributes and elements of the Google calendar feed.

criley

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 12:53:07 PM »
Great!  :D

Now...Any chance of Sean doing a video on that? Or at least a simple write up? I have looked all over for a list of the Element names and possible Attributes for a Google Calendar within their API pages. Can you please point me in the right direction?

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines