November 22, 2019, 02:49:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Video Length "-1", Width/Height "0,0"  (Read 5846 times)

ICS

• View Profile
Video Length "-1", Width/Height "0,0"
« on: June 22, 2011, 08:24:09 AM »
I've uploaded several videos to my resource pool and the video length field seems buggy.  On initially viewing/previewing the uploaded content the video length reads as "-1" and dimensions are "0".  If I would switch to anything else (Screens for example) and then come back to Resources, eventually all showed their true length and size, BUT now some are back to showing the length as -1 and seem stuck as such.

They all still play fine but the ones which are stuck with length at -1 don't get their proper duration set when placed on a timeline.  I know I can stretch them out but then I have to keep separate notes on how long they are which is a pain.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:55:39 AM by ICS »

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Video Length "-1", Width/Height "0,0"
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »
Make sure the video is an flv with H.264 encoding so it updates the params.
Also try and do a snapshot (create thumbnail) to force the values

Regards.

ICS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 04:05:41 AM »
All files are mov with H.264.  I had done the thumbnails on all of them and as I say at one point all of them had correct length and dimensions, then suddenly a couple went BACK to reading as -1 and 0,0.  I tried doing the thumbnail again but no change.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
I double checked with a developer and stats snapshot is only supported for Flash Videos (flv).

Eric.

ICS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:05:58 AM »
... and yet I'm able to take snapshots with the MOVs I'm using and see them just fine in the timeline. :)

Regardless, that doesn't explain why some uploaded MOVs had running times and dimensions, and then one day "lost" those values.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:12:46 AM by ICS »

ICS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 08:47:30 AM »
I tried uploading a handful of FLV files, and the same thing has happened.  Some had correct values, some showed -1, some showed correct time after taking snapshot, one didn't.....and then one which at first showed the correct time changed to -1.

Very frustrating.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »
We do have plans on improving on this for all other formats late this year...
Check this for format conversion:

http://www.mediasignage.com/files/FreemakeVideoConverter_2.0.1.2.exe

ICS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »
And what would you like me to convert to?

Per my previous post I tried FLV with H.264 encoding and the behavior was no different that the MOV files.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 01:07:43 PM »
If you use an flv with H.264 and do a snapshot / thumbnail you do not get the stats?

ICS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 05:29:32 AM »
If you use an flv with H.264 and do a snapshot / thumbnail you do not get the stats?

No, not reliably.  I uploaded a new set of FLV files (all H.264):
-Some showed the correct stats as soon as they were played
-Some showed correct only after taking a snapshot
-Some have yet to show correct stats despite playing, taking snapshot, etc.
-Some which at first showed the correct stats reverted to the wrong stats upon replaying them.

I just logged in this morning and ALL now show no stats at all (length "0").  Some show correct length after playing for a few seconds, others just change to "-1".

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:00:32 PM »
I asked a Dev to evaluate this after the next release of 3.1

Derek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2011, 09:52:10 AM »
I've experienced the same issue of videos length -1. It could be related to the lack of meta data in the mp4 container or meta data at the end of the file container. Depending on the rendering engine, some render engines may place the meta at the end of the file container. With meta data placed at end of the file, the video will not stream but rather the whole file must be downloaded before it will play so the player can read the meta data.
This seems to work fine with Media Signage as the video assets are stored locally rather than streamed. It however is a pain to manually stretch out the video on the timeline everytime. Maybe there can be an editable textbox that we can overwrite and save the length of video so it doesn't disappear.
Also, question...is version 3 available? I read the admin is talking about version 3.1 bug fixes. I stopped testing the 3.x version because all it supported was flv video files? Where as version 2.x supports flv, mp4, m4v, mov, 3gp, and mpg. I was able to upload but with no playback -- same file on both version 2.x and 3.x. And yes I filed reports with the techs about a month ago.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines