April 24, 2019, 04:21:10 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Knowing the Difference (Hardware vs. OS)  (Read 3231 times)

teethstraight

• View Profile
Knowing the Difference (Hardware vs. OS)
« on: April 26, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
I'm not sure whether this post belongs under hardware or here, because both topics come into question.

I was originally running an Acer Revo3700 (1.8Ghz Intel Atom, 2 GB RAM, Windows 7 Home) as a player. Playback was rather slow and delayed. I thought this was an internet connection issue at first, but once I tried the same content layout on a MediaBox100, I realized it wasn't. The playback was both smooth and without delay, even running on a wireless connection.

So now I'm wondering how much of that comes down to the operating system vs. the hardware? The MediaBox has only slightly more processing power than the Revo; the Revo has more RAM, and I'm assuming the GPUs are on par with each other (they both support Flash 10 acceleration, correct me if I'm wrong).

Windows XPe is so lightweight compared to Windows 7. Secondly, I'm kinda familiar with the idea that XPe is programmed for the hardware it's running on, and the software it's running. Does that also make a drastic difference?

I've considered building my own players but have had concerns with the operating system. Windows XP cannot be bought OEM anymore, and Windows XPe would require too much cost and effort to program for a system with hardware that could change with every build. I need players that can allow live TV, so that cancels out Ubuntu. Which leaves Windows 7. 

What is the primary solution for better performance? Hardware or OS? Do I spend on hardware performance to cope with Windows 7? Or is the MediaBox simply the best solution for those of us that cannot program XPe?

Derek

• View Profile
Re: Knowing the Difference (Hardware vs. OS)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 02:02:09 PM »
I was having the same debate and discussion myself. The Intel Atom or AMD E350 series processors are meant for low power consumption, ie. netbook or other battery powered devices. Plus they are running at only 1.6/1.8 Ghz, so not the best hardware choice for full screen flash/hd video applications.

They are no match to an AMD Phenom II or even an Intel i3 processor running at 3.10 Ghz. I'm in Canada, and have found that NCIX and TigerDirect both are increasing their inventories of mini-ITX motherboards. The price difference is about $100 between the all-in-one Atom motherboards and separate CPU/motherboard combos.
Depending on the complexity of your Campaign and your site location that will kinda dictate what size of computer box you want to use and/or selection of motherboards/cpus. I have an Gigabyte GA-H67N motherboard with a i3 processor and it works great stuffed into a mini-box.

As for OS, I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 and it was a simple install following the video on this site. Still waiting for my monitors to show up, but I'm driving a 28" 1920x1080 with no issues. The cost of Windows adds in a bit that's for sure.

It will be interesting if Adobe introduces in the StageVideo api into Adobe AIR as they did into Flash Player 10.2 and see what the results will be.

The MediaBox offered by MediaSignage seems like a great simple solution, unfortunately dealing with brokerage into Canada would raise the cost per unit I'm sure by a $100 and then add in shipping. However, we do have a strong dollar right now.

Hope this helps.

Spezam

• View Profile
Re: Knowing the Difference (Hardware vs. OS)
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 09:24:08 AM »
Windows 7 needs 4 gb of ram. I use EEE boxes 1021 work great once ram is upgraded to 4gb. If it is heavy flash sometimes you have to delay each item a 1/2 second and it will play fine.

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines