January 17, 2022, 05:43:50 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Disabling "Create new account"  (Read 6250 times)

SeaDog

• View Profile
Disabling "Create new account"
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
 ???
Not having seen any replies to newbielink:http://script.mediasignage.com/forum/index.php/topic,725.msg2286.html#msg2286 [nonactive] and per this forums suggestion that a new topic be started, here it is.

In the above referenced post, admin (Eric) stated:
Options like this will be available once the billing module is out, after the summer 2010
Regards,
Eric.

It is now already April 2011.  We (meaning my company) do not want visitors who stumble upon the URL to the Web Studio to be able to create a new account.  We are doing all signups ourselves as part of our sales efforts.  So, when can we see the option to disable this feature under our reseller account?

--
SeaDog
 ???

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling "Create new account"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:00:54 PM »
Actually you can do that today. As a reseller you can remove all privileges and make the default privileges be that of "none" and so if if anyone will open an account on your system they will not get any GUI at all....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 02:36:07 PM by admin »

SeaDog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:23:45 PM »
Actually you can do that today. As a reseller you can remove all privileges and make the default privileges be that of "none" and so if if anyone will open an account on your system they will not get any GUI at all....

I don't think you understand.  I don't even want anyone to simply create an account.  If someone opens the login screen, either the web based one or the desktop one, I don't want them to see the 'Create new account' link.  Seems to me based on what you are telling me, if I set the default privilege to 'none', my customers won't even be able to log in at all.  Makes no sense to me.

--
SeaDog  ???

unununium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 12:31:42 PM »
Has there been any progress on this issue? It appears that this has been outstanding since May 2010.

Our organization uses MediaServer as an internal digital signage solution. We have no interest in external users being able to create arbitrary accounts. Our security team has raised concerns about unauthenticated, anonymous users being able to create accounts at will within the application.

In the same vain, it would also be desirable to remove the 'Rename business' link from the Studio login screen as well. We handle all of this internally.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:09 AM »
You can use Privileges and set "Default privileges" so if an account is created no UI is displayed...

unununium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 07:02:20 AM »
Thank you for your response. That is our current solution to the problem but you must admit that it is, at best, a workaround. An unauthorized visitor is still able to create a new user account and a new business with no approval from our administrators. The fact that this account has very little access is beisde the point; Now our admins have to be on the lookout for unauthorized businesses that crop up in ther Reseller interface and delete them. Even then, they might pop up again since there is nothing stopping an end user from creating new accounts.

In addition, it is also confusing to the end user to see those links in the interface when they are not allowed to use them and thus increases our support workload.

So, while I appreciate the advice regarding limited default access, I still need to reiterate that this is an unresolved feature request. Back to my original question: has there been any progress toward implementing a way to remove the "Create new account" and "Rename business" links on the SignageStudio login screen?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 09:00:31 AM »
yes it is only a workaround for now, I don't have an ETA as we still have a ton of stuff to release this year but I can assure you that it is on our road map to enable Resellers more control over what users can and can't do (i.e.: limit screen usage )... so it is coming ... my best estimate would be release 3.2 due late 2011

Regards,

Sean.

unununium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 09:58:38 AM »
Ok. Thanks for the update. As long as we know it's going to be addressed at some point the security guys should be happy.  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines