December 03, 2020, 05:13:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News: Join us for a FREE Webinar this Thursday at http://webinar.digitalsignage.com

MediaSignage support forum

Author Topic: Media pLAYER iSSUE  (Read 4904 times)

theadtv

• View Profile
Media pLAYER iSSUE
« on: April 18, 2011, 02:08:56 PM »
I connected a media player to my clients network, every night when the network is updating the locations info, it wants to update the media player causing it to not turn on and shows a login screen for the clients network. I have to manually turn off the media player and restart and it works fine. Any ideas so that the clients network doesnt read the media player and try to update it????

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Media pLAYER iSSUE
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:53:03 AM »
What hardware are you using?
Did you try and disable the daily shutoff?
The SignageController is running?

Let me know, Eddie.

theadtv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 10:36:02 AM »
the hardware is your media player 100, its my clients network that is readng the media player as new equipment. is there a way to disable or mask the media player IP's address so that the network doesnt think the media player is part of there computers.

the signage controller works  i just have to manually restart it so that it boots up

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 12:55:12 PM »
I am not sure what you mean on the IP, it is regular windows TCP/IP stack and so it supports DHCP as well as static IP.

Regards

theadtv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
The network where I have my media player is effecting the media player...when the network pushes out updates to.all of their computers it is thinking the media player is one.of their computers..causing a log on.screen to.appear on my ad screen which. Causes the media player to not play the. Campaign ..what I mean by the IP is there a way to.hide the media player or mask it on their end so updates are not pushed out to the ad player

SeaDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:31:39 AM »
Pardon my butting in.  Can't the network admin configure their update system so that it does not try to push updates to the player?  That is certainly something that should be configurable.

It may also be possible to set firewall port settings on the player to prevent the network (whatever does the updates) from accessing the player for these updates.  You would need to know which ports to configure on the player.

If your customer can set up a switch with VLAN capability which is dedicated to your player, they should be able to isolate the player form their network so that it can't push updates to it.

It seems to me, however, that the best way to solve this problem is to have the network administrator configure the update application to not push updates to the player.  Of course, this is all said not having any information on the process used to push the updates but I suspect you will have to have some cooperation from your customer in any case.  :-\

theadtv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Thanks for butting in, thats what the forum is for... appreciate the advice, I will ask the net admin to isolate my machine for updates.....since you seem knowledgable is this area I have one more question for you.

The client is concerned about virus's since they have had some pretty bad ones in the past, they are concerned about the media player being able to pass virus's to their network since it is connected to the network. Any Ideas??

Thanks admin and Seadog

SeaDog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
In the majority of cases involving virus/malware infections, the infection occurs as a result of user action, that is, clicking a link in an email, downloading apps, etc.  I am not aware of any infections as a result of a push to the player and then a network infection from there.  Provided the network is properly secured through its hardware firewall, players should never be a source or provide a door to infection of the network.

If you explain the nature of the player's functions and assure the client that no users are ever logged in other than for player maintenance, it will not be an issue.

--
SeaDog  8)

Carbonate design by Bloc
variant: carbon
SMF 2.0.12 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines